This page is not done.  I am still working on it.  But since emergency contact information is something that few people have a good grasp of, I thought even a partially done page is a good start.

Emergency - Contacts

What to Know

Before venturing out into the wilderness it is a good idea to set up an emergency contact for yourself.  Your emergency contact can be a friend, family member or anyone you trust.  Let your emergency contact know where you are going, what you will be doing and a general time line for what you expect out of your trip.  You should also discuss when to start worrying (or panicking depending on the people involved) and what to do about it if it happens.  If your emergency contact decides it is time to call the authorities to set up a search for you, they should be armed with a list of who to contact.  You could always leave it up to your emergency contact to look up the numbers IF they end up needing them.  Do your emergency contact a favor and give them a list so the panic (uh I mean worry) is a lot easier to handle if they do need to make that call.

When you leave location information with your emergency contact, don't just tell them the name of a canyon you are going to do.  If your contact person is not familiar with and area it will be difficult for them to explain where to look for you.  You should leave your emergency contact person with things like canyon name, coordinates of a location on your route (if you have them), an explanation of where the area is and what it is close to.  If you want to be found you should leave behind enough information for others to describe where to look for you.  If there are book or online sources describing the area you will be in, you can leave that information with someone as well.

When you make a call for missing friends, do not expect to call the authorities with nothing more than a canyon name and expect them to automatically know where your friends are.  A lot of the canyons that Canyoneers visit are not named on maps.  If a canyon name is all you have it may be impossible to locate the correct place to start a search.  Give as much information as you can and be sure to tell them your friends were canyoneering in a technical route.

Below is a list of helpful numbers to have on hand for that might help.  You can print these out and give them to your emergency contact before you leave.  It might also be a good idea to have a list like this along with you while on a route yourself.

The contacts here are not intended to be and all inclusive one stop shop for all emergency numbers related to canyoneering.  This list is intended to be a good starting point.

If you find any numbers are wrong or need updating please contact me and let me know.  If you feel a number should be added feel free to tell me that as well.

Note / Warning:
In almost all cases it is a bad idea to start a search and or rescue during darkness.  Doing so would likely endanger those performing the search and or rescue.  If you find your self in a bad situation where a SAR call has been made for you, you will likely be spending the night right where you are since any rescue attempts will not begin until the following day.  This idea should serve as a warning and be that little voice in your head that says...... "Always be prepared for an emergency bivy". 

Who to Call

If you have no idea who to call the first choice would be 911.  You can give the operator names, dates, places, activities, etc.  The dispatcher can help get the right people notified and put you in touch with them.

Public Lands
If you are calling for someone that is on public lands you can contact authorities related to that area.  Visitor centers, ranger stations, BLM or Forest Service offices and the list goes on.

County Sheriff
If you are calling for someone that is on public lands that have no phone numbers to call, a good place to start is the Sheriff of the county they are in.  The County Sheriff should have a good idea who to call after you tell them where your friends are.

List of Emergency Contacts

This list should help get you started in the right direction.  As I venture into more areas, I will try to keep up with adding to this list. 

If someone you know needs help and you do not know what number to call, call 911 and they can help.


Grand Canyon National Park


Coconino National Forest



Angeles National Forest - (San Gabriel Mountains)

Los Angeles County

Death Valley National Park

Inyo County


Below are numbers for emergency situations in Nevada. 
If you do not know which Utah Number to call, look at the area list located below these numbers.

  • Nevada County Sheriff Numbers

    • Clark County Sheriff - (702) 838-3271

  • Public Land Numbers

    • Red Rock Visitor Center - (xxx) xxx-xxxx

    • Lake Mead National Recreation Area - (xxx) xxx-xxxx

Valley of Fire State Park

Call the Clark County sheriff.

Red Rock Canyon - National Conservation Area

Call the Clark County sheriff.

Eldorado Mountains

Call the Clark County sheriff.

Mount Charleston - (in the Spring Mountains National Recreation Area)

Clark County Sheriff or 911.  There is no ranger on the mountain.


Below are numbers for emergency situations in Utah. 
If you do not know which Utah Number to call, look at the area list located below these numbers.

  • Utah County Sheriff Numbers

    • Garfield County Sheriff - (435) 676-2678     24 hours a day 7 days a week.

    • Iron County Sheriff - (435) 867-7500

    • Kane County Sheriff - (435) 644-4916

    • San Juan County Sheriff - (435-587-2237

    • Washington County Sheriff - (435) 656-6500

    • Wayne County 911 Dispatch direct number - (800) 356-8757

    • Wayne County Sheriff -  (435) 836-1308

  • Public Land Numbers

    • Capitol Reef Visitor Center - (435) 425-3791

    • Zion Back Country Desk - (435) 772-0170

    • Zion after hours emergency number (435) 772-3322

Zion National Park

If calling for someone inside the park, first try the Zion Back Country Desk during business hours.  If it is after business hours or you can not get an answer at the Zion Back Country Desk, then call the Zion After Hours Emergency Number.

If calling for someone outside the park, call the county sheriff for the area they are in.  North, south and west of the park would be Washington County while east of the park would fall in Kane County.

Capitol Reef National Park

Capitol Reef has limited resources.  When needed they ask staff from all job titles (scientists, maintenance, admin, etc) to help with the efforts.  Rather you are calling for someone inside or outside of the park, your first point of contact should be the County Sheriff of what ever county your party is in.  If you don't know try them both. 

The northern end of Capitol Reef National Park is covered by the Wayne County sheriff.
The southern end of Capitol Reef National Park is covered by the Garfield County.

Dixie National Forest - Pine Valley District (this is just north of St. George on the west side of I-15)

Call the Washington County Sheriff. 

Dixie National Forest - Cedar Mountain District (this is the Cedar Breaks and Brian head area)

Call the Iron County sheriff. 

Escalante National Monument

Primarily in Garfield County.  A small portion is in Kane County.
If in doubt call the Garfield County Sherrif.

Angel Cove area

Call the Wayne County Sheriff.

Cedar Mesa

Call the San Juan County Sheriff.

North Wash

Call the Garfield County Sheriff.

Poison Springs area

Call the Garfield County Sheriff.

Robbers Roost area

Call the Wayne County Sheriff.

Ticaboo Mesa

Call the Garfield County Sheriff.


Test spot